Cooking this olive-rosemary bread in a cast iron skillet creates a crisp outside and soft inside, the perfect complement to any meal!
- 1 package active dry yeast (2 ¼ tsp if measuring from bulk)
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 4 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- ½ TB salt
- Olive Oil
- Coarse Salt
- Combine yeast and warm water in a large bowl or pitcher
- Using a wooden spoon add in 1 cup of the flour and then the salt and mix until combine. Stir in the rest of the flour, one cup at a time until completely incorporated.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Do not punch down the dough. Lightly oil the bottom of a cast iron skillet (a 10” or 12” skillet works best.) Sprinkle a good amount of flour on top of dough and then cover hands with flour. Take all the dough and shape into a disk (it will be sticky.)
- Place in the skillet, cover loosely with a towel and allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400.
- Drizzle top of bread with olive oil.
- Slice dough with x.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and rosemary
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until top is deep brown.
*This same recipe can be used to make a sweet bread: replace olive oil with butter and rosemary and salt with sweetener, cinnamon or fruit.